Sunday, June 30, 2013

abstract collage

It's Week 4 in the course and it covers Wall Art. The brief is to create an abstract collage. Get outside your comfort zone and do something different. Colours are limited to your star sign colours (mine is Aries - red and yellow). Plus we must add a floral and typographic element. Now I'm not really a florally kinda girl so set forth to abstract it down in some way.

First up we are asked to collect collage materials in your colour way. Luckily my hoard-ish tendencies paid off. No problem here. See pic above.
Then experiment and paint time (see thumbnail pics for paint studies). I go a bit frantic here with a few different ideas on the go but I am finding the 3-4 day deadline too restrictive to resolve my paintings so go purely into collage land. My first attempt below.


Then finally a breakthrough of a more abstracted version in petal shapes (yes the obtuse floral reference) which is what I went with. What do you think?

'Petals'

2 comments:

Saskia said...

LOVE the petal art Nez, and love having a peek at your hoarded ephemera too. Hey, it's gorgeous as an art piece, but 'petals' would be ace as printed wrapping paper too (maybe that's my evil capitalist graphic designer brain talking though).

neryl said...

Oh yeah wrapping paper would be ace, ca ching!